A guardian visa allows temporary residence for a guardian of an international student younger than 18 years of age (in usual cases) studying in Australia on a student visa.

A guardian must be

  • A parent or person who has legal custody or a nominated relative of the student

  • Over 21 years of age

  • Able to provide accommodation, general welfare and other support to the student

  • Meet genuine temporary entrant, financial, health and character requirements.

From 1st July 2017, a Student Visa is for international students who are studying these courses:

  • ELICOS (English)

  • School

  • Vocational Education and Training (VET)

  • Higher Education

  • Master and Doctorate

Finance and English competency evidence may be required, depending on your country of passport and course provider.

Student Visa

Family Visa      Student Visa      Work/Skilled Visa      Visitor Visa      Other Visas      Australian Citizenship



The Training and Research visa is for people who want to come to Australia on a temporary basis to participate in occupational training, observe or participate in research as a visiting academic, or participate in a professional development program.


This visa has 3 streams:

  1. Occupational Trainee stream: for people who need structured workplace-based training to enhance their skills in their current occupation, area of tertiary study, or field of expertise.

  2. Professional Development stream: for professionals, managers or government officials invited to participate in a professional development training program in Australia. The program must have been arranged by an employer outside Australia and usually lasts up to 18 months.

  3. Research stream: for professional academics invited to visit Australia to observe or participate in an Australian research project at an Australian tertiary or research institution.