FAQ - What's the Difference between TR and PR? And How Can I get a PR?

Acronyms, abbreviating everything! So confusing, what does TR and PR mean. And if you want to stay long term in Australia how do you do that?

Let's go through the difference between the residency categories:

A TR is a temporary residency visa. It only allows you to enter and remain in Australia for a certain period of time. After it expires, you must leave Australia or have a new visa. A PR is a permanent residency visa. It allows you to remain in Australia indefinitely or forever. However, the rights to enter and re-enter Australia can expire and has to be renewed every 5 years, usually. The interval which you have to renew this can vary, depending on the time you have spent in Australia prior to the renewal.

Ok, so now that is cleared up what pathways have you got to living as a PR in the great south land?

A permanent residency can be achieved through many pathways such as:

  • Family sponsored - This pathway is used for those with eligible family members who are willing to sponsor their migration to Australia.

  • Employer sponsored - This pathway is for those people who have eligible employers who want to sponsor their migration to Australia.

  • States/Territory nominated - This pathway is for those people who have skills that are in high demand by certain states or territories in a specific time period.

  • Independent nomination - This pathway is for those people who have gathered enough migration points based on the Australian point system. Individuals who are within the most employable age groups and skill categories with exceptional English and finances are the most likely to score well on this system.

  • Business - This pathway is for those who want to do business in Australia, specifically those with sizeable investments or important innovations.

To understand which pathway best suites your needs and which you are most eligible for, it is recommended that you consult a registered migration agent, such as myself.


Featured Posts
About the Author

Anna Molina (MARN: 1461034) is the principal registered migration agent at Sophos Migration Specialist located in Perth, WA. She holds a bachelor degree from the University of Western Australia and a Postgraduate Certificate in Australian Migration Law and Practices from Murdoch University. She is also a member of the Migration Institute of Australia and Migration Alliance.


Book a consultation with her today

Registered Migration Agent:

Anna Molina

Sophos Migration Specialist

ABN 26 564 584 009

Connect online:

  • Facebook Clean
  • Twitter Clean

Address: 30 Hope Street, Beechboro

                 Western Australia, 6063

Email:      sophosmigration@gmail.com

Tel:          + 614 01 543 995

Skype:     sophosmigration

Line:        annabenjung

© 2021 Sophos Migration Specialist. All rights reserved.