Paid work

Australia has a wide range of industries and many have part time employment opportunities, including:

  • Retail - supermarkets, department and clothing stores.

  • Hospitality - cafes, bars and restaurants.

  • Tourism - hotels and motels.

  • Agricultural - farming and fruit-picking.

  • Sales and telemarketing.

  • Administration or Clerical roles.

  • Tutoring.

If you have existing qualifications and/or professional work experience, you may be able to secure casual or part time work in your field.



Paid or unpaid internships can be a great way to get exposure to the professional, financial and creative industries. Learn more about getting an internship by clicking here.



There are many charities and non-government organisations (NGOs) in Australia and they always need volunteers to help out. It can be a great way to meet friends, get some hands on work experience and give back to the community. To find out more about volunteering by clicking here.


Your rights

Everyone working in Australia, including international students or those on working holiday visas, have basic rights at work. These rights protect entitlement to:

  • A minimum wage.

  • Challenge of unfair dismissal from the job

  • Breaks and rest periods.

  • A healthy and safe work environment.

Most employers in Australia are covered by an ‘award’, which sets minimum wages and conditions for a given field of work or industry. To find out more about your work rights visit the Australian Government's Fair Work(opens in a new window) website. You will also need to get a tax file number to work in Australia. Visit the Australian Taxation Office(opens in a new window) website to find out more information on getting a tax file number, as well as information about paying taxes in Australia.


Finding Work

There are plenty of ways to find work that suits you, including:

Newspapers and online job sites. Some institutions provide job notice-boards on campus and online. Contact your institution’s international student support staff to find out what options your institution offers. Register your details at a recruitment firm; many of them help place people in casual or short-term work.



Australia offers a diverse range of study options for international students, with more than 1,200 institutions and over 22,000 courses to choose from. You can study at all levels of education from primary and secondary school, to vocational education and training (VET), from English language courses to higher education (including universities).


And regardless of what you are studying or how long you are studying for, Australia’s laws promote quality education and protection for international students. This includes the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act 2000(opens in a new window) and the National Code of Practice(opens in a new window) for Registration Authorities and Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students 2007 (National Code). These provide nationally consistent standards for providers of education and training for international students.



Australia, officially the Commonwealth of Australia, is a country comprising the mainland of theAustralian continent, the island of Tasmania, and numerous smaller islands. It is the world's sixth-largest country by total area. 


Australia's unique landscape and seascape create an amazing Australia with features found not only in the far reaches of the Outback but also along the more accessible coasts.

Cost of Living



  • Hostels and Guesthouses - $80 to $135 per week

  • Shared Rental - $70 to $250 per week

  • On campus - $80 to $250 per week

  • Homestay - $110 to $270 per week

  • Rental - $100 to $400 per week

  • Boarding schools - $10,000 to $20,000 a year


Other living expenses

  • Groceries and eating out - $80 to $200 per week

  • Gas, electricity - $60 to $100 per week

  • Phone and Internet - $20 to $50 per week

  • Public transport - $10 to $50 per week

  • Car (after purchase) - $150 to $250 per week

  • Entertainment - $50 to $100 per week


Minimum cost of living

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection has financial requirements you must meet in order to receive a student visa. Below is a guide on the requirements you must meet to study in Australia:


  • You - $18,610

  • Your partner - $6,515

  • Your first child - $3,720

  • Every other child - $2,790

Driving in Australia


If you hold a current drivers licence in your home country, you might be able to drive in Australia without sitting for any further driving tests. But remember that many state and territory governments require you to get an Australian drivers licence if you are here for more than three months. Your licence requirements, and any driving restrictions, are managed by the state or territory government where you are living.



Other transport options available in Australia include buses, trains, trams and ferries.  Your access to these transport services will vary depending on where you live.  You will also be able to access private and public car services from taxis to hired limousines, available to take you from door to door. Some larger education providers will also have their own in-house transport system, especially useful if you have to leave your campus late at night or live in a hard-to-reach area.

Emergency Services


Triple zero (000)


Stay focused, stay relevant, stay on the line

  • Is someone seriously injured or in need of urgent medical help?

  • Is your life or property being threatened?

  • Have you just witnessed a serious accident or crime?

If you answered YES call Triple Zero (000). Triple Zero calls are free.


Call 132 500 for storm and flood assistance. 
In the Northern Territory call 131 444.


Call 131 444 to contact Police other than in an emergency. In Victoria call your local station. 


Call Crime Stoppers 1800 333 000 to help solve a crime.